This minor will introduce students to classical mythology, its uses within ancient Greek and Roman culture, and its subsequent influence on art and literature.
The minor requires 15 credits, 9 of which must be at the 300 or 400 level.
To declare the minor, please contact one of the undergraduate advisors in the Department. For 2017-18, please contact Dr. Lillian Doherty, LDoherty@umd.edu.
- CLAS 170 Greek and Roman Mythology (3 credits)
- CLAS 470 Approaches to Greek Myth (3 credits)
- NOTE: CLAS 170 is offered every semester. If CLAS 470 is not offered during the time a student is working on the minor, it may be waived.
The student must choose three additional courses, two of which must be at the 300 or 400 level (or four additional, three of which must be at the 300 or 400 level, if 470 is waived). The following are especially recommended, but others may be substituted if these are not being taught during the time a student is working on the minor:
- CLAS 320 Women in Classical Antiquity
- CLAS 330 Ancient Greek Religion: Gods, Myths, Temples
- CLAS 331 Ancient Roman Religion: From Jupiter to Jesus
- CLAS 370 Classical Myths in America
- CLAS 374 Greek Tragedy in Translation
- CLAS 419 The Classical Tradition [There are several versions of this course]
Some other courses with substantial mythological content may be substituted for those listed above; be sure to consult with the undergraduate advisor if you wish to make such a substitution. No course grade below the grade of C- may count toward the minor. An overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor is required for graduation.